eRightSoft’s SUPER Video Converter Looks Safe?

Posted on Sunday 16 July 2006

According to the eRightSoft web site:

SUPER テつゥ (Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer) a GUI to ffmpeg, mencoder, mplayer, x264, ffmpeg2theora and the theora/vorbis RealProducer plugIn. Player and Encoder of various types of multimedia files.

So, first of all, is the name supposed to be SUPER, and the テつゥ is just always around to make sure we know that it’s a copyrighted program, or is the name actually SUPER テつゥ, which is the way it seems to be from all of their web pages? I’m assuming it’s part of the title for some inexplicable reason, since none of that company’s other software has that.

Anyway, I was looking at it, and it looked useful. But it’s a little suspicious looking, what with their download links and the often-repeated text saying

Downloading this file from other sites IS NOT RECOMMENDED as you may get an outdated file. While from here, you can be sure to always download the latest updated virus-free spyware-free version.

Sorry, but that just sets off alarms. Poor English, free domain names for download links, and advertising the fact that there are no viruses or spyware? Not the most reputable-looking piece of software I’ve ever seen.

So I took a closer look.

The page for the program has generally positive comments, although a few complaints about it overwriting cygwin1.dll in the Windows system32 directory with an old version. And then a few mentions that it accesses the Internet when you run it, for some unknown reason:

As a minus – my Firewall has picked up attempts by the program to browse my network and to access the internet – without being invited to, and with the website claiming it is simply a GUI running command line aps… none of which have any business looking about on the net or on my other machines.

I’ll happily continue to use this prog, but will always be firewalled or disconnected first!

So I took a closer look at what it’s up to, and it looks pretty innocent. The only Internet activity I saw when I ran it was a HTTP GET request to, which returned a 404 error. From the URL, I think it’s safe to assume that it’s checking for updates, and if there is an update, the publisher will put something at that URL.

What winds up at that URL isn’t easy to figure out, though. There is an spr617 file there, which is a 3kB binary file with no obviously identifiable header or readable text anywhere in it. There’s also spr613 there, which is exactly identical to spr617. I don’t completely trust incomprehensible binary files, since who knows what the application is going to do with it. And the whole thing still gives me a bad feeling.

So I’m going to block access to at my computer (with an entry in the hosts file), just in case. But it seems like it’s safe to use this program based on my limited experimentation with it.

Now whether it actually works well at doing what it claims to do… well, that’s a whole other issue. I did a few quick attempts and got a lot of crashes in mencoder.exe, so I’ll have to see if I can get it to do anything useful. But it does appear to be safe from a security standpoint, so that’s something, right?

119 Comments for 'eRightSoft’s SUPER Video Converter Looks Safe?'

September 23, 2006 | 1:30 am

I appreciated your review of SUPER (C). I’ll be sure to set my firewall and block the referenced site before I install it.

October 14, 2006 | 11:52 am

I ‘ve been trying to download SUPER (c), but for some reason Spyware Doctor keeps blocking it; thus, I am assuming there must be something wrong with it… :-?

October 15, 2006 | 12:02 pm

It’s possible that there’s other stuff going on in there, I was just trying to figure out what the network access attempts were that other people were talking about.

I’ve tried the program a few more times and have never been able to get it to encode more than a few seconds of RealVideo files without crashing, no matter what settings I use, so even if it is completely safe and spyware-free, it’s not exactly the most stable or useful program I’ve ever tried.

Juan Jose Naveiro
    November 6, 2006 | 9:41 am

I need user instructions to convert a mpg file into a MOV file

Gregory B
    November 8, 2006 | 10:23 pm

I used SUPER for well over a year until one day (after an update) it started crashing every time I used it, with “mencoder” stated as the cause.

Now I find it completely useless, even after reformatting my entire WindowsXP system and deciding to reload it – it still does not work.

It used to be great but for some reason this latest version, build 2006.19[FIX], sucks to no end.

What was once reliable and “Super” became a disappointment. I even tried to find an older version and information on “mencoder” but none of that has helped.

I enjoyed it while it lasted and might try a new release in the future but I am disappointed that a program I came to rely on for so long has become useless.

I guess I shouldn’t complain – it was free – but all good things must come to an end, even if they are “Super”.

Gregory B
    November 8, 2006 | 10:31 pm

I should add that when SUPER worked, it worked VERY WELL.

I was converting all types of media files. It was so convenient and impressive.

I could convert files for my iPod, DVD’s, whatever – I never had a problem, then came the recommended update and whammo – SUPER worked No more.

If anyone has a build other than

I would like to give it another try as it did a tremendous job. If they happen to list another update I hope it works… it was well worth it.

Gregory B
    November 8, 2006 | 10:57 pm

To The ADMIN…

AVS Video Converter ($29.95) works very well for me with RealMedia files. I only wish it had and option for converting .flv to “other”.

AVS allows you to crop, adjust brightness, contrast, split, batch/join, etc but cannot convert .flv files.

I’ve had great success using AVS on WinXP and find it a nice program for the price. It has a lot of file-type output options as well.

Mastering AVS is a breeze and the options you have when converting are a true advantage as a lot of videos I download are too dark, too grainy, too “whatever” – yet with a few simple adjustments – AVS cleans them right up and gives great, sharp, bright results no matter what format I go to & from.

I have yet to experience sound-synch issues with conversions. You might want to check it out.

The conversion speed has not been a problem and I have even converted large, two-hour, full-length movies without a problem. Obviously those large movie files take a bit longer, (1+ hours) but the outcome has been well worth it.

You can run multiple instances of the program at one time or line up a series of conversions in one window.

The only drawback thus far is that it will not convert to or from .flv files.

If anyone knows a good WinXP program for converting .flv to .wmv, .mpeg, etc I would appreciate your input here as those are the only files I cannot get to convert.

“MOYEA FLV to Video Converter” seems to be a good program for converting .flv files to “other” but I have yet to convince myself to purchase it.

December 24, 2006 | 5:11 am

it also crashes for me when i try to convert flv to avi.
    there’s riva free flv encoder that everyone’s saying it’s great but it fails to work on my pc aswell :(
    on the subject of trying to get stream vids there’s this really cool site – www. that lets you d\l to flv format all youtube\googlevids etc

January 31, 2007 | 10:51 am
  is a French ISP linked to ILIAD, it doesn’t mean it’s a cheap hosting site with lots of craps… It gives 10Gb of server space, the largest amount available among all French ISPs that’s why a lot of people here use it to publish developments. (check for yourself :

Dennis McNamee
    March 29, 2007 | 9:04 am

A run of a-squared reports 14 xp registry “traces”added when you run SUPER. Here is what a-squared website says about this:

Name: Trace.Registry.Radlight

Registry traces are known references of Spyware/Adware which are stored in the Windows registry database. Traces may be autorun keys which make Spyware/Adware run automatically on Windows startup. Traces may also be registrations of Spyware/Adware DLL files which are registered to hijack the Windows Explorer or the web browser.

Traces can not be harmful by definition. They are only some kind of helpers to enable Malware to be installed and run on your computer.

Additional information might be found here:

Search at Google for Trace.Registry.Radlight Search at Google for Trace.Registry.Radlight
    Search at Windows Live for Trace.Registry.Radlight Search at Windows Live for Trace.Registry.Radlight
    Search at Yahoo for Trace.Registry.Radlight Search at Yahoo for Trace.Registry.Radlight

March 31, 2007 | 9:18 pm

I installed Super on my machine last night to convert a file, which it duly did, but I left it running overnight. All was fine in the morning, until I rebooted, and now the machine won’t start windows, even in safe mode. Something freaky is going on here – it’s possible something might have installed itself overnight, but my guess is the payload was attached to Super. Now to reinstall windows… mutter mutter mutter

April 21, 2007 | 11:18 pm

KeepV Flash Converter is a free and powerful utility software that download and converts Flash/FLV files –

May 7, 2007 | 8:10 am

This version,, has been installed on a Windows Media Center 2005 for several months, faultlessly converting dvr-ms, mpeg, flv to avi. I guess they added that flv conversion recently. Anyway, it works. There’s a newer version out now, but I’m not updating until I check more thoroughly into what this thing is really doing with my computer. The language used is worrying (like a cheap advertisement, but they SWEAR it’s free), and since the update’s become available, a dialog pops up each time the program is run, saying “you are running an OBSOLETE version…may CRASH or destroy your system at any time. Get new one immediate” approximately. Pretty harsh, right? Not even trying to garner your interest with any new features, just “update or die!!”

June 1, 2007 | 11:24 am

I am using Super 2007v22 to convert avi to mov, mpeg4 to mpeg1 and avi to mpg. It seems easy to use, works fast, and produces good results. Don’t know about the cygwin/spyware /uninstalling problems. WinXPpro, windows defender and Norton AV all seem ok with it.

June 30, 2007 | 8:31 pm

I have used SUPER for quite a long time and I havent had a problem with it in terms of video converting. It may not be the best quality conversion but for conversion it works flawlessly. Recently though I came across a complaint of SUPER with regards to the GPL and LGPL license. Url:
    No real reply from the author making this software questionable in the legal sense….

July 2, 2007 | 8:52 am

I was having an issue with build 21 (it wanted me to download the update to 22) now it has erightsoft watermarked in the middle of the videos it converts. i’m a little disgruntled since they don’t say anything about shareware or $$. I see “free!” everywhere. I loved 21 i want it back!

July 26, 2007 | 5:33 am

I agree that eRightSoft’s website looks extremely suspicious. I first read about SUPER on where they had a PDF guide on how to use it located here:

Their website repeats over and over how SUPER doesn’t have spyware and is completely free. You can only seem to access it in IE which is also weird as they seem to want to track you every step of the way. Then, before you can download it they want to show you a “demonstration” of how good it is. That seems quite out of the ordinary for a site trying to give you free software.

But, after reading through the comments here, I was able to find a copy of SUPER 2006.19. I don’t know the version numbers for older releases, but if someone knows of any, a simple Google search will probably simply turn it up. You can download it here:,com_docman/task,doc_details/Itemid,92/gid,64/ (registration required, bypass with I also mirrored it here: 24.55mb (no login required)

Also, if anyone wants to check to see if SUPER is doing anything weird, I might suggest passing it through a HEX editor and looking for anything strange or running the packet sniffer Ethereal, which is freeware, but required WinPcap to use. Just close all other programs that are accessing the internet and leave SUPER running and make sure Ethereal saves a log. Let it run for awhile, come back and take a look at the logs and it should reveal if it’s tried to make any outbound connections.

Yemur Freejay
    August 7, 2007 | 7:44 am

I read a good review about this product and wanted to download it when I came across a problem (I use firefox) where the download page kept cycling. Then I read the small print:
    “To download from this site without looping back to the same page you need to:
    Queries concerning this issue will not be answered. We do not know any other answer to give.”

This sets off alarm bells ringing all over. Given my experience with viruses, trojans, worms (all unpleasant) I would suspect that this program has some sort of spyware attached to it. My friend downloaded it but couldn’t get it working (though the computer he tried it on was a sardine can).

Running ethereal for a couple of hours doesn’t really get you that far. Programs usually use a trigger to activate their payload. That trigger can be anything from the number of times you load the program, to a date in the future or even a few months after installation.

August 10, 2007 | 6:01 am

thanks for the various posts. i’ve been using an older version for about 4 months and have never had a problem. still, some of your suspicions are unsettling. i’m gonna give keepV a try and if it works well, maybe stick to it vs SUPER.

if anyone knows of any other viable alternative, perhaps that’s the safer route to take…

August 27, 2007 | 5:48 pm

I’m still suspicious about installing Super. I’m pretty much a noob when it comes to tracing and packet sniffing and all that other technical stuff, so i wouldn’t know what to look for. But the Red Flag for me was the part on their website that said:

“The following minimum configuration is required to run SUPERテつゥ,2007) on your PC….

o Full admin credentials within an admin session (for NTkernel OS). (Vista users, RightClick and ‘Run as… Administrator’)”

November 4, 2007 | 12:24 pm

Me again. Still using the program, without updating as it demands. Still converts videos fine, but the update-warning has gotten a lot more strident–it pops up every time the program first opens, for each video-file that’s added to the encode queue, and /while it’s encoding multiple files/ reappears when moving to the next file in the queue!! Nag nag nag…it’s annoying, but as previously stated, the thing still works fine, so why update (the warning still doesn’t mention any new features gained with updating)? “Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.”

November 13, 2007 | 10:19 pm

I downloaded the latest build ( 4, 2007), and found that video clips didn’t play properly on Windows Vista… they ended up being 26 hours in length when they were only a few minutes. Also, I run ZoneAlarm in the background and notied the SUPER.exe is trying to access the internet. Overall, the program does what it says and converts pretty much anything I’ve tried. I notice the program has taken longer to startup (good minute) than when I first installed it. After reading some of the comments above, I’m wondering if their might be more than meets the eye.

November 21, 2007 | 2:55 pm

Installed Super on a work computer and ended up lighting up the board with “Unauthorized Access” alerts that included the file names of the videos I was converting… I wasn’t downloading anything so I wasn’t sure why they would have been alerted, however a Google search brought me to this page and after reading the above posts, I’m assuming the program was trying to send out data concerning what I was converting and our firewalls stopped it.

Michael Coombes
    January 4, 2008 | 6:22 pm

It’s available for download on softpedia so I trust in all honesty as softpedia aren’t about to let a virus encrusted app on there servers

January 24, 2008 | 1:57 pm

Just installed it last night, using comodo firewall I noticed it trying to access the internet. It was fine with a no. Ran it over night, worked flawlessly. Next morning AVG Free edition antivirus pops up saying its got a trojan horse downloader in it. Specifically in mencoder.exe, so I still have no idea. AVG has given me a false positive before that looked much like this one…

January 28, 2008 | 9:43 am

I had the pre-Jan18 version and it worked flawlessly! Converted all kinds of files without a blink. Then it updated itself to the latest version (Jan18, 2008) and NOTHING happens now. The program won’t even open. Sorely disappointed :(

January 29, 2008 | 11:10 pm

ive been lookin at software 2 convert my video/music files etc to dvds or ipod, i first looked at AVS video converter, i got the demo version of course, i had a hard time trying to find out how to convert my video file to a dvd file, when i finally worked it out, (since it was a demo it had the watermark on the file after conversion) and stuck it in my dvd player, the first few times my player wouldnt even read the disk, as if there was no file on there!! n wen it finally did manage 2 read it, there were glitches and it just crashed on me half way through, if u read the other reviews 80% of them would say that this doesn’t work at all and is a waste of time and money if u want to buy it. the other 20% would say that it will convert to dvd files BUT NOT ipod (Mp4, MP3 etc) , of course it does a whole lot of other stuff but i just can’t b bothered wastin time on sumthin that doesnt work. iv also been chekin out Erights Super software n from wat u guys r tellin me it aint that good either, but if any1 does find out a good piece of convertin software please tell me!!!!

February 2, 2008 | 1:10 pm

I currently have the July 4th, 2007 version. I get the “download new version” popup when I run it, however F-Secure labels the new setup.exe file as spyware called “DealHelper” (see

I think I’ll just keep my current version, and block internet access to it.

March 1, 2008 | 2:16 am

I’m gunna look for some open source alternatives. Maybe SUPER works. Maybe it infects every video file it converts…
    “” already has your user names, passwords, and credit card numbers. You’ve already been pwned. Just hope he doesn’t get to your name on his list. You’re a fool if you think computer=privacy, or internet=security.
    Just a heads up. “1337hax0r” is out there.
    Never google “free software” or “freeware”
    Take a look at

March 28, 2008 | 7:06 pm

Hey, I download SUPER about 2 weeks ago and used it to convert some FLV files to AVI to burn them to DVD Video. I thought the download page seemed fishy since I couldn’t do it in Firefox and had to use that blasted IE. It converted my video files fine until one day I ran a Safe Mode virus scan with Trend Micro latest updates. To my surprise SUPER came up infected. Below is the virus scan log.

Fail to Clean [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\cygz.dll
    Success Delete [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\cygz.dll
    Fail to Clean [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\DXdump.exe
    Success Delete [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\DXdump.exe
    Fail to Clean [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\spk\1stRun.exe
    Success Delete [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\spk\1stRun.exe
    Fail to Clean [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\WINDOWS\MOTA113.exe
    Success Delete [ PAK_Generic.001]( 1) from C:\WINDOWS\MOTA113.exe

Now I’m not sure about the MOTA113.exe, but the other items were defintely in the SUPER directory. I immediately uninstalled the program and will try and find a good open source alternative.

Any recommendations?

March 31, 2008 | 8:07 am

I agree the setup of the eRightSoft site does look suspicious due to convoluted download pages and their phrasing. Their other free program is Sympa “SMTP Email client, sending Anonymous Emails was never easier”. It may be a “privacy” tool, but at a first glance it looks like something an email spammer might want to use.

I had Super installed (a 200825 version I think I got from but when it updated some codecs, Webroot Spy Sweeper gave a trojan.gen alert (which seems to be a generic detection for a piece of suspicious software) and quarantined the file windows\system32\smab0.dll. Other virus scanning tools did not seem to have a problem.

Spy Sweeper is probably giving a false positive but looking at the website doesn’t inspire confidence. It’s a shame as it did seem a front end making a conversion tools a lot simpler and worked very well on the video I tried.

April 4, 2008 | 12:24 am

FUCK…. i dont know what to fuckin do, i just spent half an hour reading EVERY post, EVERYYYY POST!… I just finished downloading it, havent opened it yet, now im going to finish it off and delete the cocksucking french trojan horse (possibly) Dont listen to me i dont know if it has a trojan, but with the comments above, its not worth it for a 1000$ laptop to crash, just pay the fuckin 29.99$ and get a real converter. ITS NOT WORTH IT PEOPLE. And for all those people out there who did download it, im sure it has spyware (virus programs for you new-bies)…also i went to and typed in this”does video converter “super c” have a virus” and got back sumthing saying “beware of virus trojan generic6.afhb in memcoder.exe after install. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

April 5, 2008 | 11:42 am

Spy Sweeper detected Smab0.dll in C:\Windows\System32\ as a generic suspicious software, as others have pointed out. Before quarantining it, I wanted to check its properties. No application was associated w/ it and its creation date seemed to be around the last installation of Super. As soon as I closed its Properties box, the file disappeared! I don’t believe that I accidentally deleted or moved the file, as no such dialog appeared, and the file is no longer found on my drive or in the recycle bin. It has been a couple of weeks since I last ran Super and have rebooted many times since then. The site considers Smab0.dll to be safe but claims that “the Process is polymorphic and can change its structure.” Is it associated w/ the file spk\Smabwin.spk in the Super program folder?

Nigel Williams
    April 15, 2008 | 10:50 am

Super ain’t spyware.

I’ve been using it for a long long time, and it’s not a security risk. The virus alerts for cygz.dll are false positives, the cyg* set of files are part of the cygwin system. Not spyware. The Radlight detections are also false positives, there is a tool called Radlight which uses similar software components as Super, hence the (trace) detections.

Neither can you infect a video file with a virus.

April 19, 2008 | 7:08 pm

There’s obviously something fishy going on here… I’m practically getting a migrane from the warning signals that the site sends….

And what’s this all about:

To download from this site without looping back to the same page you need to: Enable your JavaScript, clear your MSIE cache, do not block your http_referrer (with ZoneAlarm or similar), do not use a proxy.
    Queries concerning this issue will not be answered.

My advise is to stay away… It’s not worth the trouble!

April 19, 2008 | 7:16 pm

Nigel… “Neither can you infect a video file with a virus.”

That is just stupid, of course you can! You can add data/bytes to the file and change the extention to make the file run bits of code on your computer if you execute it, but that’s not really the issue here, the issue is if Super downloads viruses/trojans to your computer which it very well can do without infecting your videofiles…

April 28, 2008 | 9:09 am

I am currently using but i have been using it for the past 2 years.
    there’s absolutely nothing wrong with super, try to be less paranoid about it,
    more than a dozen of sites are proposing it for download like Afterdawn, softpedia, videohelp, etc..
    check out this one

May 7, 2008 | 3:26 pm

Installed it… worked ok.. uninstalled it…updated my asus 8800 gt with latest drivers.. reinstalled super.. immediate winxp blue screen of death.. rebooted.. system crashed again… rebooted in safe mode.. uninstalled super.. all is now right with the world

May 17, 2008 | 5:55 pm

What is WRONG with you people?
    You think maybe the nay-sayers are making this up? You think if a thing LOOKS like a duck and QUACKS like a duck – it ISN”T a duck?
    Get Real people. Didn’t your READ the comments just on this site? . What would make you continue to believe that SUPER is good? Is safe? Is at a reliable site? Any non-doubters: re- read the above.

If you don’t believe Thomas then listen to dbird! BOTH are exactly correct. I’ve worked with experts following the TROJANS loaded via SUPER on PC after PC that has come in infected. Mostly by folks who simply don’t update their sw, and didn’t know half as much as the correspondents here. They were just looking to get something for nothing. They all got it, just not what they were expecting.

Not you say, false positive you say, and you keep using without cleaning anyway? No wonder non-infected PCs are in the minority.

Even NIS will charge you for these things and that’s IF your PC is alive to tell the tale. And all you IDIOTS who think SUPER is working… You are just typing on a server that is infecting the rest of your PC world!

Please, everyone of you non-believers: Delete SUPER immediately! Think about the rest of the world. BU your data, wipe your drive(s) reinstall your OS and “don’t search for free stuff !”

Think I’m kidding? Look at these messages again. There is simply too much weight going the WRONG way here.
    If you downloaded it, if you clicked on the site…
    Consider yourself POSITIVELY infected. And act accordingly.

For the more judicious of you who avoided the site/product.
    Thank you very much.
    I hope your found what you were looking for elsewhere.

P.S There are a lot of converters being sold out there that ‘may’ use SUPER, inappropriately of course. Fair warning.

or, How much are you willing to pay a professional to ‘clean’ your computer? and when? Before a disaster – DIY! IF you know what to root out. Did you backup that download?

But after a disaster… Got a full bu off-site and clean?

Ever heard the old adage, “You can pay me now, or can pay me later; but sooner or later, you’re going to pay if you play.” Hmmm?

June 11, 2008 | 10:01 am

[…] blog luar negeri yang mencurigai keamanan SUPER (malware or not?). Baca posting blog tersebut di sini. It’s up to you to believe or unbelieve. Namun saya pribadi telah menggunakan SUPER selama […]

Mandy Samuels
    July 8, 2008 | 12:47 pm

I downloaded and used super for ages without any problems at all. To use a UK TV advert, it does exactly what it says on the tin (or web-site in this case). The only time I’ve had a problem is when it told me today that there was a new version available, but everytime I try to download it the download finishes early and the file is corrupt?

I would still like to say to anyone who refuses to try a program just because someone else says it’s dodgy, why??? They are basically scaremongerers, you get loads of them on the internet. And if we all listened to them and did what they said all the time, life would be very very boring!

Super is a 5 star program, try it and see

July 8, 2008 | 11:50 pm

I’ve posted instructions on How to download Super in case anyone is having problems. I have since abandoned Super, which I also explain on the page.

July 13, 2008 | 8:30 am

I have downloadet SUPER テつゥ v2008 from the original Seite ( and installed it. When I start the program, I get a virus warning. I deletet the infectet fil テ「竄ャナ溺OTA113.exeテ「竄ャナ, but every time when i start the program i get the same warning. The virus installs it every time when I start the program.

“Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}” has been found in “C:\Windows\MOTA113.exe” file.

My Scanner: avast version 4.8 home edition

What is the Problem!
    Why have avast テ「竄ャツ扨OTA113.exeテ「竄ャツ in the database and not other virusscanner?

The answer from
    Q.033 After or during the installion of SUPER テつゥ my Anti-vir, Anti-adware, Anti-spyware, Anti-malware warned me of a
    serious security threat. Why is that?

A. SUPER テつゥ is 100% clean. Check the SOFTPEDIA statement.
    We have counted 23 specialized download sites proposing SUPER テつゥ for download as a safe 100% clean package.

When you encounter a false detection, it is mostly heuristic, meaning that the anti-vir wasn’t able to
    parse and recognize the written code, so the file was flaged “suspicious, heuristic or gen (generic)” by default.

Due to the .exe files packer (tELock) used for almost all the files in the package in order to compress, protect and preserve
    the integrity of our code, some anti-malware/vir may trigger a false detection as the tElock (Encryptor/Compressor) crypts the
    files before packing them. A great deal of security is therefore achieved, preventing against the reverse engineering of our codes,
    but the drawback of this protection is that some Anti-vir cannot even parse correctly the file to scan it, so they flag it “suspicious”.
    Any (with no exception) .exe or .dll file packed/crypted/protected with tElock may trigger a false detection with those
    “heuristic based” Anti-vir programs. You may try tElock to pack any executable file of your choice to test it on your
    favorite Anti-vir.

Advanced Anti-malware/vir like McAfee, Norton, Sophos.. are already aware of the tElock usage in our package and
    do not trigger anymore those false detections.

If your Anti-vir database is updated online by your anti-vir application, we suggest you send a copy of the
    flaged file to your anti-vir author to update and correct its database.

If any file of the package has been deleted or blocked by your Anti-malware/vir, SUPER テつゥ will become totally
    inactive, and won’t start anymore!

July 14, 2008 | 1:41 pm

its the most useful software for the mobile users to convert the vedio or audio files for their use

July 25, 2008 | 12:13 pm

Dunno about Softpedia, but in research for Vundo effects I discovered that reputable websites engaged in distribution of software may be displaying links to contaminated software. This surprised me at first, but later I tested allegedly clean executable files with a dozen antispyware/antivirus programs – and none of them found malware inside the package. However, double-clicking on .exe immediately leads to system infection. Somehow it is possible to include malicious code into installers so that security programs miss it in on-demand scans.

July 31, 2008 | 9:57 am

I’ve seen enough negatives to make up my mind not to use Super. I’m looking for a program specifically to convert m2ts to WMV or AVI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

August 3, 2008 | 10:54 pm

my Avast Home Edition blocked me from using SUPER(c). Says it detected a threat or it safe enough?

August 26, 2008 | 12:46 pm

I’m a computer tech, and get a lot of business from folks like the ones in this thread who, despite the blatant warning flags, are insisting this is safe, wonderful, benign software. When I first saw the site, I looked for normal signs of legitimate freeware…do they sell other apps, are they into open source, etc. Nothing. Reading the language used (even forgiving the poorly worded English) raises a lot of warning flags…why do they continually rant about how wonderful it is?? Keep insisting that it doesn’t have spyware?? Why, if they’re legit, can’t they generate a program that doesn’t trigger antivirus and spyware programs everywhere? Think about it…if you developed a program that did something well, and decided to give it away rather than sell it, would you do a hard-sell “this is the best!!!” or would you offer it on its own merits and let the user decide? What’s the point of the hard-sell? And why no configurable auto-update, or a warning that it will do so? And why nag or insist that people update (hint…maybe to keep ahead of the anti-spyware program detections, for one)? Why watermark a movie if the person refuses to update, isn’t that up to the user? This is not normal behavior for a legitimate freeware developer, not by a longshot.

The folks who say “quite being paranoid” or “it works OK for me, there’s no virus” are the ones who will be bringing in their machines soon, or wondering how their bank information got leaked. I build and repair computers, and all my systems have recent backups, but there’s still no way this blatantly suspicious program will get installed on any of my machines; if I had the time I’d put it on an isolated bench machine and analyze the behavior, but it’s not worth it, the signs are too obvious, don’t use this, and if you’re already using it, be careful what info is exchanged on that computer, besides being sure a solid, third party firewall is installed (not the Windows one, you need it to watch both inbound and outbound traffic).

September 1, 2008 | 1:52 pm

[…] seem to trigger AV software for some people, although I’ve not read this thread in depth:rnrnMonkeyless eRightSoft’s SUPER Video Converter Looks Safe?rnrnthe debate seems to have been going on a […]

September 1, 2008 | 2:04 pm

[…] does seem to trigger AV software for some people, although I’ve not read this thread in depth:nnMonkeyless eRightSoft’s SUPER Video Converter Looks Safe?nnthe debate seems to have been going on a […]

September 7, 2008 | 4:04 pm
    September 18, 2008 | 6:03 am

HI All WARNING I believe this is MALWARE

After I nstalled the latest version, I believe it trashed my operating system XP SP2. I will have to reinstall and reformat my C drive. All my restore points were removed prior to the Super install date – Nasty

IMHO Dont use

September 26, 2008 | 9:27 am

do you mean that this “smart” discussion that started on September 23, 2006 is still ongoing without having one single user able to check with his/her Anti-Vir editor by sending a file sample, to confirm once for all whether or not SUPER is safe !
    in the mean time, some 7 million users around the world are happily using SUPER..

some joe
    October 2, 2008 | 7:56 am

Don’t use SUPER (c), it’s loaded with spyware and trojans,
    Don’t pay for video converters either!

Check out Mediacoder on sourceforge, open source and safe.
    Does everything!
    (“McNaughtly” ha! come one…)

alex & Cie
    November 11, 2008 | 4:14 am

SUPER is a great program, encodes great quality output files for DVD burning or to play on my iPhone. Have been using it for 1 whole year on my Vista. Never had a problem of malware or whatever, I use Sophos Endpoint Security.
    I downloaded it from here:
    It is well outlined on softpedia that it’s 100% Safe

November 27, 2008 | 5:14 am

If you use cygwin with one version of cygwin1.dll and then start a program with it’s own cygwin1.dll the second program might crash. When I update my cygwin, I usually copy the latest cygwin1.dll to other directories with it.

November 30, 2008 | 1:35 am

Super is certainly suspcious; try handbrake or mediacoder;

December 8, 2008 | 6:37 pm

Definately suspicious when i had it running my internet slowed down a lot when i only had one window running in firefox, which was this page, no ones home so no other comp could be effecting it. I went to my norton program internet access and blocked it off and instantly it sped up.

December 19, 2008 | 9:15 am

LTBC and others, please DO NOT use handbrake, it’s infected with trojans. I had it on my computer for months, then during my daily scan it came up as infected.

December 29, 2008 | 8:42 pm

I noticed a lot of drive activity right after I installed and closed super….it was VERY suspicious…I had NEVER seen that before on my computer. Fortunately I used windows restore to get rid of it. I thought I may install this on my new 64 bit laptop, but now I see that would have ben a very bad idea.
    Too many weird things going on to be comfortable with it.

January 5, 2009 | 11:19 am

SUPER has been around since 2005
    Is there one single user that can for sure confirm to find something suspicious in it?
    in the mean time, millions are recommending it today on 2009
    anyways.. read this and try to be less paranoid

January 6, 2009 | 11:56 am

I’ve been using Super for nearly 2 years now, never once had a problem.
    However, just to be on the safe side after reading this article, I’ve blocked its connection to the internet.

January 17, 2009 | 2:29 pm

I’ve been using Super for nearly three years now, only problems I’ve had with it was batch conversions being a bit buggy but that was fixed about a year ago. I don’t update it and mainly use it offline so that might have an overall affect.

The only thing the program is missing is the ability to hint quicktime formatted movies for immediate streaming, besides that the program runs flawlessly and hasn’t given me any problems.

January 18, 2009 | 9:56 pm

I’ve been using Super for a few years. Mediacoder is my first line transcoder and I trust it more. After reading this, I’m thinking of taking Super off of any critical computers and just using it on one I keep around that I can “Ghost” a fresh XP system onto so I don’t care what it catches – Just wipe it and start fresh.

The one thing I like about Super that Mediacoder doesn’t seem to have is Direct-X decode, which really solves some timing problems between codecs and frame rates. Sometimes when I can’t get the soundtrack to line up with the video, no matter I try with Mediacoder Super with its Direct-X chech box comes to the rescue.

Agreed about the sketchy, scary website. It can also be found for download at

February 1, 2009 | 7:49 am

Bob, you are a knob. Your Jan 31 2007 SPAM posting here should have gotten you kicked in the nuts but spammers like you, Bob The Knob, have no balls to start with.

February 6, 2009 | 10:44 am

I have used Super on multiple computers over the years with no problems with any virus scanners. I always have blocked outbound access by this program with firewall and have always used early copy and never updated. The program itself works flawlessly on all conversions I have needed it for. I have been suspicious of program with the same concerns reading about it, but have never had anything happen or reported on any of the pc’s I have used it or continue using it on.

February 15, 2009 | 8:37 am

I’ve used SUPER for a couple of years now. I sometimes try other programs to see what the results are, but invariably (i.e. every single time) I end up coming back to SUPER because it just does everything and it’s fairly straightforward.
    The front-end isn’t up to much, but I assume that’s because it’s a kind of generic product that looks the same on all operating systems.
    There seems to be absolutely no Help at all, or at best, rudimentary Help.
    What it does very clearly claim though is that none of the conversion software is it’s own, but is all credited to the free software community. The only copyrighted part is the GUI front-end.
    Apart from that, the SUPER website is, in my view, bloody awful. You CAN download SUPER from it, but it’s not easy. After avoiding the adverts that they host, and the odd detailed instructions to “enable Javascript”, “clear your cache”, “don’t use a proxy” [I don’t need to think about any of this when I download any other software], and jumping through the hoops of clicking “Download SUPER” links, only to be taken to yet another page with another “Download SUPER” link, you can eventually download it and it works fine.
    Let it contact the web and it will tell you when an update’s available. It’s never yet tried to install anything else or misdirect me to a hidden site.
    It just works, and behaves itself.

February 15, 2009 | 9:06 am

After reading some more of the postings on this site I’m adding to my last post.
    The last time I updated SUPER my anti-virus (COMODO) was triggered by avsredirect.dll. It was described as unidentified malware.
    I wasn’t happy with the warning about a file called avsredirect, so I sent a copy to the COMODO website. The message came back that it was totally clean.

February 16, 2009 | 5:24 am

SUPER version 35 can be found on’s downloads and it says tested spyware free

I am trying to find something (free) that lets me take a DVD clip and convert it for posting on Youtube, this will be my 3rd program I’m trying. I downloaded Format Factory and it’s video freezes after about 20 seconds when I tried several clips from different discs. Tried another program called Any Video converter and it crashed, I’ll try this but block its access with my firewall, thanks for the input. Well, update, it wont download, may not be compatible with Vista OS.

February 16, 2009 | 11:04 pm

[…] instead of the super converter, which seems very full featured but difficult for a novice to use, (also is their site super shaddy or what?) I ended up using videora, which is really easy to use, free!, and ended up producing pretty good […]

February 28, 2009 | 12:24 am

SUPER worked very well for me in the past, but is has been failing me as of late. I’ve tried converting AVI and FLV files to WMV (for my zune), but instead of finishing the conversion, the green progress bar starts over. The file did not convert even after an entire day, I disappointed to say the very least.

March 3, 2009 | 10:04 am

I feel really stupid, but twice now I’ve tried to download this program, and each time I find a download link, it just keeps redirecting me to the same few pages in an endless loop. I go here:

I slowwwly scroll down until I see a link that says Download. Which is all the way at the bottom of the page. I click it and it sends me here:

This time the first download link I see is in the middle of the first page, I click it and I end up here:

By this time I develop a headache and start screaming at my monitor “WHY CAN’T THESE IDIOTS JUST PUT A LINK TO THE .EXE LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE??? ARE ALL OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPERS THIS STUPID???” This time I scroll slowly down looking for a download link again and this time there is no download… I’m just greeted with a highly patronizing “What Are You Waiting For.. Download SUPER テつゥ it’s FREE “. I’m waiting for you MORONS TO GIVE ME A LINK TO CLICK TO GET THERE, DUHHHHH!!!!

Or maybe I’m the duhhh-moron here and if the link were a snake it would have bit me. Then again this is one of the most poorly-designed webpages I’ve seen since the bad old days of geocities. This place looks straight out of 1996…

March 11, 2009 | 12:20 pm

lol this is the stupidest argument I’ve ever seen. Nobody made any real argument against this program except that they’re suspicious of people who don’t speak english and use junky free av programs. Good job to the one dude who was smart enough to send to actually have his suspicious files analyzed.

btw, don’t feel too bad ghmgfhk their website is horrible. If anyone still needs this, just use this site instead: it has direct links to all different versions, including older ones that were more stable.

March 24, 2009 | 1:38 pm

Hay everyone. Just installed this program myself to convert some avi’s to mp4’s. It downloaded, installed and ran fine, but when I actually converted a file, AVG Antivirus pulled up a virus in my tmp folder. I have checked out the warning, and on the AVG forums this is flagged as a false positive of one of the converters used in the process. All other scans from AVG turn up nothing, and given how long this software has been around for I would be confident in saying that it’s safe.

April 15, 2009 | 8:27 pm

Sound like some people don’t even read before they post. There are a lot of real arguments against this program. It overwrite cygwin1.dll and other DLL files and caused other programs to break. It doesn’t uninstall cleanly. It put READ ONLY, HIDDEN files in your Windows system directory. Because of all those, not only it break other programs, sometimes it cause your Window unstable and even BLUE screen of death. To really make your system CLEAN again, pretty much you need to reinstall your Windows OS. If your system only install this program and nothing else, may be it is ok since there is nothing else in your system that will break because of Super.

May 4, 2009 | 8:07 am

Hello everyone,
    I would like to share my experience about SUPER, I am using it on a Vista 32 bits PC, it works like a charm converting my WMV and other MKV files to my iPod. It is an amazing Freeware.
    My constantly updated Norton never complained of any Malware.

I am copying the following text message from another forum:

FFmpeg official website has listed SUPER as part of the FFmpeg-
    Based Projects:

MEncoder official website has listed SUPER as related projects under Windows:

Microsoft official website identifies SUPER as Vista compatible:

July 3, 2009 | 10:26 am

I wonder why concerned people keep recommending MediaCoder. It may be open source, but it definatly installs spyware on your computer (OpenCandy and Relevant Knowledge). Check the MediaCoder forum, there are discussions about that.

January 28, 2010 | 11:46 am

The first post in here is dated September 23, 2006 (40 months ago..)
    Do you think it is still worth it do discuss whether SUPER is a trojan or not, OBVIOUSLY it is a 100% clean program, which is very handy and useful for audio/video conversion.

super user
    January 30, 2010 | 1:01 am

I have been using SUPER for almost 2 years now and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. I have recommended it to good friends of mine and and I ask them what they think of it and they also like the program with no complaints about downloading or installing issues.

February 9, 2010 | 2:26 am

For converting dvd videos to play on Microsoft iPhone Video Player, I strongly recommend you all 4Videosoft DVD to iPhone Converter. It is one of the best transfer software that I窶况e ever used. You can convert your favorite videos to iPhone MP4, iPhone H.264/MPEG-4 video format. Just a few clicks, you can finish all the steps. That窶冱 wonderful! If you are interested in it, you can try:

March 2, 2010 | 3:35 pm

Been using this software for a 2 years fine. I have it on one machine as 2009v35. I installed the latest version on another machine. Both machines are XP Pro. On the new machine converting M2TS files to DivX AVI does not work (video fine, sound bad). This conversion works fine on old machine with 2009v35

Uninstalled 2010v37 and installed the older 2009v35 on the the new machine. Now Super is not starting. Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest 2010v37, and it runs fine, but does not do the M2TS conversion properly.

2. SUPER BULLETIN BOARD DOES NOT LOAD UP, and other bulletin boards claim the board is a mess (their opinion, not mine).

3. SUPER SUPPORT IS ONLY VIA THE NON LOADING BULLETIN BOARD ….. (ok others were able to load it but complaining of not being able to sign in …. just google for the reference).

Super does most conversions fine, but may not do all it advertises.

June 12, 2010 | 10:53 am

Many posts here start with the word “obviously”.
    So let me start similarly.
    Obviously the morons are attacking… Most of you, non-IT monkeys, have no idea what you are writing about. You’ve seen some SF movies, you’ve read some crappy anitivirus commercials, and then you’re pretending professionals.
    I’ve checked SUPER with all available antivirus tools, antispyware tools and hijackthis-like tools.There’s simply not even a bit of malicious code in the SUPER.
    Now, I could ask myself, why have I lost a few hours, to confirm, that the Internet is filled with idiots? I’ve no idea and I’ll never do it again.

Please, obviously overusing-the-word-Obviously persons, stop spreading your nonsense to the Internet.

I’d like to dedicate a few special words to the guy calling himself “ghmgfhk”, who was so kind to say “ARE ALL OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPERS THIS STUPID???”
    You must be the biggest douche in the universe, if you consider “SUPER” Open Source software. Period.

Any comments, you bunch of monkeys?

June 21, 2010 | 6:32 pm

For over several years i tried all “one click program for idiots that just crashes”, go ahead use them. Last one I remember was moyea…

using for over 1 year “SUPER”. And its great.
    And NO its not virus. Leave your hazardous PC and run away NOW! GO!

July 15, 2010 | 8:36 am

Sure, SUPER seems fishy, but who in their right mind would go through the trouble of coding a working piece of software just for spreading viruses? There are easier ways…

Regarding antivirus warnings: It seems the authors use some sort of binary compression, which often triggers heuristics. This can be used to disguise malicious code, but can also to make it harder do decompile binaries. They are afraid of someone stealing their code, or maybe ashamed of it ;). So this binary compression is a quite valid but not a nice solution.

And don’t forget that the authors seem to be French. Alot french software is just like this: Does what it should do, but is pure crap in any other regard. The bad english is also easily explained by this. French people usually don’t learn other languages.

Concerning “experts” like Gary who build and fix computers: They’re just hardware-monkeys. Why should they have a clue about software? They just install stuff und run programs.

August 20, 2010 | 3:49 am

And don窶冲 forget that the authors seem to be French. Alot french software is just like this: Does what it should do, but is pure crap in any other regard. The bad english is also easily explained by this. French people usually don窶冲 learn other languages. ;)

August 20, 2010 | 3:49 am

And don窶冲 forget that the authors seem to be French. Alot french software is just like this: Does what it should do, but is pure crap in any other regard. The bad english is also easily explained by this. French people usually don窶冲 learn other languages. Thank you for sharing :)

August 22, 2010 | 10:16 pm

Worked well after downloading a couple of codec packs. Before that, lots of source types and output types caused “ERROR”…now works fine. I have been using it to convert to mp4 for ipod and it’s flawless.
    If you use DVD-decrypter’s IFO mode to get vob files, Vidomi to convert a list of vob’s to one avi, and then use Super to convert avi to mp4, you can get any DVD onto an ipod. There might be a better way than that to get from DVD to ipod but this method works and all of it is freeware.

January 10, 2011 | 10:34 pm

I started the installation from the erightsoft site and spybot alerted me, then a dialer appeared. So.. WTF?

January 14, 2011 | 6:46 pm

So i downloaded super on January 13,2010 straight off the super website… ( i had the pre-nov build and I decided to update) and suprise suprise

the moment i installed the thing a screen for white smoke “english translator” appeared and i accidently clicked yes because I couldn’t identify what i was installing and i thought it was SUPER and to my surprise… the “white smoke translator” gave me a virus… I also had a desktop icon that said improve your pc and sent me to some random website…

The translator had a trojan and it basically changed all my home pages on my browsers and it added its toolbars…

I spent a long time to make my computer virus free…and I’m not saying its super’s fault but I mean if your gonna have adware/viruses attached with your install packet I might as well just never download super again

Moral of the story: “be careful with what you agree to when you install programs…”

P.S. I’ve lost my faith in super seeing as how they would basically say that they’re software is virus free when it gives people the option to install a trojan

If you can I would reccomend that you find a better option than super

January 18, 2011 | 8:34 am

The SUPER november 2010 version, downloads and installs RMPly00.exe. This file describes itself as an adware / monetizer, “installMonetizer Entreprise, collabo incorporation…”
    If you refuse to install this file by blocking the installer’s network connections, SUPER simply refuse to install itself.
    Seeing how SUPER website is crappy, using multiple domain names, and forcing people to visit at least 4 different pages in a certain order to be able to download the installer (while keeping dowload link almost hidden), I already had doubts about this software.
    The developper of this crap just make money on open source softwares by providing an horrible GUI.

January 20, 2011 | 11:48 am

version 2010 build 42 of SUPER(C) is great
    i am currently encoding tons of files to my iPad, My Nod32 has absolutely no issue with SUPER(C)

January 22, 2011 | 2:20 pm

this latest v.2011 build 44 of SUPER(C) is amazing with the new VP8 codec..
    I love this program!

January 23, 2011 | 1:18 am

I too had that RMPly00.exe monetizer thing installed with this SUPER. But the reason I uninstalled it because it messes up with my AviSynth config.

January 23, 2011 | 6:03 am

concerning your spyware.banker.gen did you read the EULA and the EULA Addendum during the installation of SUPER
    SUPER(C) is 100 per cent clean of any malicious code and is hosted on all these sites:
    and many others..
    Would you think for a second these sites would propose infected freewares?

January 23, 2011 | 7:07 am

Yes I installed the latest and it works great,
    my iPad is so happy I’m getting excellent mp4 quality

January 23, 2011 | 4:42 pm

Thanks Pete,
    I still love Super and have decided to ignore the warning from Malwarbytes. Most likely its false. Take care

January 23, 2011 | 9:18 pm

I have been using SUPER for years, even donated a few bucks a few years back. Today I was setting up a new PC, downloaded the latest version (44), and lo and behold, ended up with LOTS of additional things being loaded, including the previously mentioned White Smoke that “adjusted” the toolbars. I figured, sloppy me, must have accidentally said yes to install these extras instead of no. So went to another PC and did it slowly this time, and answered no to extras, but they still ended up installed, on my startup list, on my desktop all over, and screwed up my internet toolbars etc. This is flat out WRONG. I’m hoping it’s a coding mistake, I know they have to make money, but this is a death knell to the program as far as I am concerned. I hope they change this. For now, I’ll keep my old version where No actually meant no.

January 24, 2011 | 5:42 am

I simply declined, and the installation of SUPER(C) went very smoothly to end up with a great new version with the introduction of the vp8 codec.
    in fact many programs propose today some recommendations during installations. This is very legitimate to make some bucks out of their development efforts..
    cheers to all

January 24, 2011 | 8:17 am

Been using SUPER(C) for the last 3 years now!!
    Highly recommended for anyone looking to convert just about ANY type of video file into something else! .. Interface takes awhile to get used to but worth the small effort on the users part…
    The latest version did not show any issue with my NOD32, downloaded and installed without worry. All is fine, works great and i like the new M4A container!!

January 25, 2011 | 8:15 pm

I’d love a utility like this that actually works well, but the website is extraordinarily strange and suspicious looking.

January 27, 2011 | 10:45 am

The best video converter available, i found the latest 2011 build 44 very useful with the WEBM container. Hey, it is true the website is a mess but the program is really great…

February 17, 2011 | 12:22 pm

I have used Super for years and have had a great experience, until now. I went ahead and updated the program to (Feb 12, 2011) from the erightsoft website.

During the install it wanted to install a toolbar “recommended by erightsoft”, I declined but it installed a bing based search toolbar, changed my homepage to a bing based page and I now have a “Browser Hijacker.Tubby” malware. Cleaning it up with SUPERAntiSpyware now.

March 11, 2011 | 12:46 pm

Ok all you winers and dinners. Here’s how to completely uninstall Super so that you can reinstall you old version. Create a batch file that contains the following lines:

REM Cozy says this batch file removes leftover Super Video Converter files that prevent reinstallation of some versions of Super
    REM Please manually delete all eRightSoft files, folders and subfolders located in the Program Files folder
    REM Delete files in the systemroot folder, i.e. C:\Windows\
    del 1stRun.exe
    del smab0.dll
    del memcoder.exe
    del RMPly00.exe
    del flvdx.dll
    del msfdx.dll
    REM Delete the directory keys and settings
    reg delete HKCR\SUPER.Encode.Profile
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\SUPER.Encode.Profile
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SUPER.exe
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SUPER ツゥ
    Pause All Done!

Hope this helps someone.

March 11, 2011 | 12:51 pm

Then from the Start button, Click Run, Type CMD.exe a command window will open on your desktop. Drag the batch file that you created onto the command window. Click on the command window to get focus then hit enter. The batch file will run and remove all traces of Super so that you can reinstall.

March 20, 2011 | 5:27 pm

hey cozumel
    your .bat file would definitely remove all “visible” signs of SUPER, but would never ever let you install a previous version. NEVER!

April 9, 2011 | 6:23 am

I installed latest build of SUPER, and it tried to do several suspicious things – running some exe, connecting to some site to install unwanted additions, etc. And there was a message in RED CAPS, saying that it’s not a malware.
    I don’t know if it’s real trojan or just dirty advertising, but by doing all these things, they show disrespect to users. I have removed SUPER, feeling disgust, and now checking my system with anti-spyware tool.

April 10, 2011 | 12:23 pm

Ok, since 2006 we hear the same old story about SUPER that “might” contain malicious code and blabla..
    No one was ever able to confirm, in the meantime; this bloody SUPER is so popular and can be found on hundreds of download sites..
    This program is GREAT, it is so perfect that makes many other similar editors so jealous, so they continue since 2006 to claim BULLISTH.

April 12, 2011 | 2:12 pm

SUPER is a great program indeed, and I’ve never seen anyone being able to PROVE that there’s been any malicious code in any version. I say it’s just rumours.

April 24, 2011 | 10:40 pm

I just updated Super tonight (I’ve been using it for years and years). This is the first install that was flagged by Avast as having adware NSIS:Agent-AR High severity threat.

May 3, 2011 | 9:58 am

I am suspicious of THIS website due to the volume of spam. “dr Dave’s Spam Karma 2″ (see bottom line of site) needs to get a bigger fork. That said, I have used Super for a very long time…at least 5 years or more. Traditionally, I have yet to find a prog to do what it does. Am I suspicious of it? Hell yes. I’m suspicious of everything. The entire interwebs are chock full of suspicious. I’ve had numerous machines over the years, occasionally had run-ins w/malware, never been able to directly link them to Super. I’ve banked on machines running Super, extensively. My bank provides numerous protections against ID theft etc. and thanks to some stupid (non internet related) issue years ago, I had to use their services in this regard and have confidence in them. That said, I feel safe banking even on questionable machines because I’m protected on the other end of things, and (sorry for the rambling logic) so I go on to say that my personal stuff including financial etc. has never, ever been hacked/stolen due to doing banking activities on comps running Super. Nor have my social networking, emails, etc etc. For 5-6 years now on various machines. Could they have gotten into my stuff? Yeah! Sure! But it didn’t happen. The website is incredibly snarky-looking but my 2 cents is that I’ve used this prog over the years with no issue I could directly associate with this incredibly useful prog. However. I’m really afraid that when it comes to potential media piracy tools, “if it looks too good to be true it probably is” because you have big biz wanting your $$ & big gov’t crying “media rights.” When you snag a vid and convert it to watch on your Zune (as I have) who loses? Some artist? Nooo…Viacom, Microsoft, etc. Could they possibly make the files, the conversion progs, etc. dangerous to use due to malware? Well, my paranoid opinion is that the old p2p sharing notion became toxic because of the efforts of those who want to make $$ in the name of “protecting intellectual property rights.” So bottom line: I’d kill to hear from someone who really knows their stuff, who can somehow isolate the current version of Super and analyze its behavior…let us all know, not only “is it safe” but is there a safe way to use it right now? Losing the functionality of this prog makes me sad. It’s not that I want to steal media…I just want to use the files I PAID FOR on my various devices for listening/viewing, without having to pay six different content providers for a different stupid version. Dangit. Meanwhile I have hope that someday the demands of consumers for something easy and universal to enjoy media in many ways will overcome the various entities’ desires to make redundant profits off of us. *sigh*

May 3, 2011 | 10:52 am

try to post at this link

Joshua Issac
    August 17, 2011 | 12:07 pm

I have used SUPER (c) for a long time. As far as I know, it has not stolen any of my data, and none of the antivirus solutions I have used over the past (Norton, McAfee, NOD32, etc.) have flagged it as malware. I agree that eRightSoft’s website is *very* badly designed. The program’s interface itself also needs a makeover, perhaps using Windows Forms or whatever the standard is, instead of non-standard windows and buttons.

cheap nfl jerseys
    September 19, 2011 | 10:46 pm

I am using Super 2007v22 to convert avi to mov, mpeg4 to mpeg1 and avi to mpg. It seems easy to use, works fast, and produces good results. Don窶冲 know about the cygwin/spyware /uninstalling problems. WinXPpro, windows defender and Norton AV all seem ok with it.

November 7, 2011 | 12:10 am

it also crashes for me when i try to convert flv to avi.
    there窶冱 riva free flv encoder that everyone窶冱 saying it窶冱 great but it fails to work on my pc aswell

November 7, 2011 | 12:16 am

SUPER worked very well for me in the past, but is has been failing me as of late. I窶况e tried converting AVI and FLV files to WMV (for my zune), but instead of finishing the conversion,

A Nonymous
    January 6, 2012 | 10:27 pm

I suggest reading comments regarding SUPER on the site – look at September 27, 2011. A user posted an account of some interactions with Erightsoft. Very strange.

Among other issues, the supposed “forums” on the site are either nonexistent or are disabled. Further, as of the time of the comments, *none* of the email addresses referenced on the site work. They had to go to the WHOIS report to get the email registrant address.

The oddness only increases from there. According to whoever was responding from the liste email address, they have the email addresses and forums blocked. These are the addresses they have listed on their site for questions/concerns.

There’s an outright misleading claim on the eRightsoft site how Super has been given an endorsement of being malware free by the Norton Safeweb site. No, the eRightsoft *site* has been reviewed, not the Super software itself. Further, within the FAQ no mention is made of the fact that Super has OpenCandy adware bundled with it, rather they try to dance around this fact. Yes, it’s buried in the EULA which they’re quite aware virtually no one reads, and they clearly avoid directly addressing this by blaming “heuristics” on “false alerts” regarding Adware.

Read the antagonistic tone of the eRightsoft respondent and ask yourself if these are the kinds of people whose software you want on your system.

June 9, 2012 | 8:59 am

Antivirus must be turned off as the heuristic scans cause the program to crash. This could be one of the reasons why your videos sometimes dont convert correctly. But yes I also have this program blocked with a firewall.

May 22, 2013 | 7:17 am

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

March 28, 2014 | 12:24 pm

The problem with Super is that it is extremely frustrating to use. From the stupid as dog poop user interface to the fact that he thinks putting “(c)” in the name somehow trademarks it. The worst part is that he is making updates mandatory. And then you have to go back to an even worse designed website.

The latest version of the install program contained malware downloaded directly from the site. It tries to trick you into running a second install that loads malware. I wish somebody else would come out with a free converter so that we can finally put this thing in the trash where it belongs.